Summary: Jesus said, “It is not those who are well who need a physician, but those who are sick. I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.” He is The Great Physician. He also said, “I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep.” He is The Good Shepherd. The Good Physician came to where the people were sick and took time with them. He came “to seek and to save” the lost.
1. A. As you read the summary above, be reminded of what we have already seen Jesus do here in the book of Luke. Then read part of our passage, Luke 5:27-32. What does Jesus call Himself? Luke 5:13, 20, 24, 27-32
B. What is the deepest need of the paralytic and Matthew? Luke 5:20, 27, 32
2. A. Who was Matthew? How did his profession come off in that day? Luke 5:27-32, Matthew 21:31b
B. What was Jesus accused of and why is that a good thing for the true believer? Luke 5:30, 7:34
C. Have you responded to Jesus the way Matthew did? What pattern for the believer do you see in Matthew’s response to Jesus’ call? Luke 5:27-29, II Corinthians 5:17
3. A. Did everyone react to Jesus the way Matthew did? Luke 5:30
B. Who is grumbling almost always against? Exodus 16:2, 6-7, Numbers 14:26-27, John 6:41, 7:12
C. What are you really doing when you grumble? Psalm 106:24-25, Romans 8:28
D. What were the Pharisees like and who or what did they trust in? Who is the modern equivalent of Pharisees? Luke 5:21, 30
4. A. What is Jesus’ response to the grumblings of the Pharisees? Luke 5:31-32
B. Who did Jesus come to call? Luke 5:29, 32, 19:10, Mark 2:15-17, Romans 3:10-12, Psalm 14:1-3, 53:1-3, John 9:41
5. A. Read Luke 5:33-39 then answer one overriding question: Can you mix your old self (before you came to really know Jesus as Savior) with the new self (after you received new life in Him)?
B. Is salvation a cause for celebration? Luke 5:33-34
C. In Luke 5:35 , what is mentioned for the first time in the book of Luke?
D. What examples does Jesus give concerning mixing the old life before Christ with the new life in Christ? Luke 5:36-38
E. What example is given concerning those who stick with their old life/religion? Luke 5:39