Summary: In this passage, we will look at Jesus’ home, His word, His identity, His authority, and His unyielding purpose. He was very aware of His purpose: “I must preach the kingdom of God.” Have we submitted to His message that reveals His identity and authority and purpose?
1. Begin at the end of the passage, Luke 4:43-44. Why did Jesus come? John 5:30, 15:13, Matthew 20:28, 28:18-20, Luke 19:10, I John 3:16
2. A. What was Jesus’ home, or base of operation? Luke 4:31, Matthew 4:13, 9:1
B. Did Jesus consider Capernaum to be His “home?” Luke 9:58, John 13:3, 14:1-2
C. We say, “Home is where your heart is.” Where is your real home?
3. Quickly review where Jesus is coming from when He “came down to Capernaum.” Luke 4:16, 22, 28-30, Acts 7:52
4. A. What happened when He came to Capernaum? Luke 4:31-32, Mark 1:22
B. Who has real authority on earth and in heaven? Matthew 28:18
C. What will be the ultimate response to authority from all people? Isaiah 45:23, Romans 14:11, Philippians 2:10-11
5. A. How it this authority demonstrated in scripture? Luke 4:33-37, Mark 4:39
B. What is known by all creation, including Heaven, Hell, and demons? Luke 4:34, Romans 1:20, 8:19-22
C. Is knowing who Jesus is, His identity, the same as submitting to Him? Does your knowledge of Jesus Christ cause you to love and trust Him? James 2:18-20
6. A. Look at the next demonstration of Jesus’ authority. How is intercession defined in verse 38? Luke 4:38-39
B. What are we able to do, any time, any place? Philippians 4:6, Hebrews 4:14-16
C. Do you pray for others? Do you request prayer for others? I Thessalonians 5:25, II Thessalonians 3:1, Hebrews 13:18
7. A. What did Jesus do in verse 39 and how did Peter’s mother-in-law respond?
B. That evening, what did Jesus continue to do and who was involved? Luke 4:40-41C. Stop and “be amazed at His teaching” and authority and “do not be unbelieving, but believing.” Matthew 7:28-29, John 5:36, 10:25
In summary, how serious is this, for you personally, us as a church body, and for us as a nation? Matthew 11:21-24
Jesus got away to a lonely place and when they found Him, He repeated His purpose. Do you get away to pray? Is your purpose the same as His? Is your home heaven? Is your heart where the Savior is? Have you marveled at His authority, His power, His word and His intention? Do you merely marvel or do you submit to His authority, power, word, and intention? Luke 4:42-44, 5:16, 19:10, Hebrews 3:14-15, Acts 16:31, Matthew 28:18-20, Galatians 2:20