Summary: We resume taking our second look at Zacharias' Spirit-filled praise song. Note what, or shall we say whom, most of the praise is directed to and how it relates to the fulfilled word of God.
1. What did Zacharias do after he was filled with the Spirit in Luke 1:67? How does this tie into Ephesians 5:18ff?
2. Note the percentage of verses in Zacharias’ praise that focus on the Lord versus the gift of his son, John. What does this say about true praise? Is it primarily circumstantial?
3. Speaking of praise, which songs (i.e.: Amazing Grace) have stirred a deeper love of Christ for you and why?
4. When John the Baptist began his ministry, what telling statement did he have in John 3:30?
5. The first 3 verses of Zacharias’ praise (vv. 68-70) provide a telling summary of God’s promise of a savior for us. What are five promises/facts that you can find in just these three verses?
6. Obviously, these three verses (Luke 1:68-70) are NOT the only section of Scripture where God delivers on His promises. See how Luke 24:25-27, 44-46 and Acts 3:18 tie into this.
7. It is staggering when one realizes how much of the Old Testament points to Christ. How does Acts 10:43 look back at this prophecy? For an added bonus, note just the references to Christ in Isaiah 53 or Psalms 22-24.
8. Paul’s first recorded sermon takes place in Acts 13. What does Paul say about the Old Testament tying into the Savior?
9. Was Paul’s preaching really any different from the Old Testament prophets? See Acts 24:14 and 26:22. What does this say about God (Hebrews 13:8)?
10. How is Luke 1:72 related to the New Covenant described in both Jeremiah 31 and Hebrews 8? How does the New Covenant differ from the Mosaic Covenant found in Deuteronomy 11:26-28?
11. See verse 74. What does true forgiveness allow us to do? How does this tie into 1 John 4:18?
12. How else can forgiveness help us serve? Hebrews 4:14-16, 10:19, 35-36.
13. How does verse 77 and God’s loving kindness relate to Psalm 25:7?
14. How can we have the peace like Zacharias describes in verse 79? Note who that confidence/peace is in. Romans 5:1 & 8:1