Summary: God Himself created marriage in such a way, that to follow it brings the greatest happiness to us, as well as glory for Him. Christian marriage is to be a work of art which pictures the love relationship between Christ and the church. The submission of Jesus Christ to the Father is our greatest example of holy living, which, as we imitate it, produces a holy optimism within us in all its fullness. We will consider the Biblical case for submission further as we explore what God says regarding the Christian wife.
1. A. In 1Peter 3:1 we find the first phrase, “In the same way….” According to the context, the same way as what? Which of these characteristics would apply to the wife? (1Peter 2:21-25).
B. Discuss some of the key words and phrases in the above text such as “this purpose,” “to follow,” “committed no sin,” no “deceit,” “did not revile,” “while suffering,” and how they relate to “kept entrusting Himself to Him.”
C. Everyone, not just the wives, to what extent are you entrusting yourself to God? Do you smile at the future because of your confidence in Him? (Proverbs 31:25, Lamentations 3:21-23, Philippians 1:6, 2Timothy 1:12).
2. A. During the sermon it was made clear that holy women:
* Hope in God
* Demonstrate confidence in His Word
* Obtain their adornment primarily from God and
* Submit to their husbands, even with respect and honor. (1Peter 3:1-6).
B. What kind of husband is the wife supposed to submit to? Why? (1Peter 3:1).
C. Mark it! One of the greatest ways to gain the enjoyable cooperation of a man is with that disarming weapon of respect. Have you seen this to be the case, elsewhere in the Scriptures or in your own life? How so?