Summary: We have been born by the Word of Life, the Living Stone, Jesus Christ. Just as a newborn baby desires milk, the healthy Christian longs for the pure milk of the Word. We come to Him, the Living Stone, the very foundation of the Church, and we “are being built up as a spiritual house for a holy priesthood.”
1. A. What is the key to life, according to I Peter 2:4?
B. Do you value what God values? Is what is precious in His sight precious in your sight? Matthew 3:17
C. How did you become a Christian in the first place? What happened?
2. A. How is the church described in the bookends our text, the very first statement of I Peter 2:4 and the last statement of I Peter 2:10?
B. How is the Church, those who have come to Him and received mercy, described in scripture? Luke 6:47-48, John 10:16, Romans 12:5, I Corinthians 3:9, 12:27, Colossians 1:18, Revelation 19:7
3. A. This week, and in coming weeks as we look at this passage, we will look at three aspects of this building, the church; the foundation of the church, the nature of the church, and the function of the church. First, we look at the foundation of the church. How is this foundation described? I Peter 2:4-8
B. How has this foundation been proclaimed? (Take note of who is proclaiming this foundation.) Deuteronomy 32:2-4, Matthew 7:24-25, Acts 2:22-24, 3:12-16, 4:7-12, I Corinthians 10:1-4, Ephesians 2:19-22
4. A. How is this foundation described in our text, I Peter 2:4-8?
B. What do we tend to get occupied with? What should we be occupied with? Luke 21:5-6, 33-36, Hebrews 13:8
5. A. Who laid this foundation? I Peter 2:6-8, Isaiah 8:11, 8:14, 28:16, Psalm 118:22-23
B. What is the function of a corner stone?
C. What is your relationship to THE Corner Stone? I Peter 2:6-10, Matthew 7:24-27, 11:28, John 5:24, Hebrews 4:7, Psalm 62:5-8